This is by far my favourite way to make cauliflower wings. The parmesan-breadcrumb coating and vegan butter really enhance the taste and texture of these “wings”. Do they taste like chicken wings? No, but they are extremely delicious and simple enough to recreate for a quick appetizer while entertaining. Or for a quick weeknight meal. I’ve gone over the bake time specified below and achieved the golden and extremely tender cauliflower wings you see above however, they’re almost too tender to handle so I now bake them for 25 minutes at 350 degrees for a tender but slightly more firm inside. The outside is less golden but still crispy as you can tell from the photos below.
The vegan parmesan cheese is an integral part of this recipe. You could use nutritional yeast instead but as always, add salt to taste. I’d also highly recommend serving these wings with basil marinara, as the basil and parmesan flavors compliment each other extremely well.
- 1 small to medium sized cauliflower head
- ¾ cup vegan parmesan cheese (see recipe link above) or nutritional yeast & salt to taste
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½-1 tsp italian seasoning
- ½-1 tsp oregano
- ⅓ cup melted vegan margarine or butter
- Basil Marinara for serving
- Wash cauliflower head and cut into wing sized florets. Pat dry each floret to help the batter stick. Place florets into a large bowl.
- Melt vegan margarine over the stove for a few minutes on low and pour over your florets. Make sure to coat each floret well as the margarine is what will make our coating stick.
- Pour parmesan, bread crumbs and seasonings into a large pot and mix well with a fork or whisk. Add in your florets and shake the pot vigorously until each floret is completely coated in the parmesan-breadcrumb seasoning.
- Pour the entire contents of the pot onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Separate each floret and place into a preheated oven at 350 for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Bake until golden and tender, this could take more than 25 minutes depending on your oven.
- Serve with basil marinara.