Dandelion greens are loaded with calcium, iron & antioxidants like Vitamin A & C. They are great for detoxing and best of all, they are currently in season! Try them in my favorite creamy green smoothie recipe below! This is my go to recipe when I want to mask the flavor of my greens without loading my smoothies with a ton of fruit. This green smoothie is thick, creamy and well-balanced with healthy fats, protein and good carbs.
In case you’d like to know a little bit about buying, storing or prepping dandelion greens, check out this short but informative video from Dani Spies. These greens are quite bitter, especially the lower portion of their stems, so I made sure to watch this video before I began prepping these greens for my smoothie.
- 1 cup nondairy milk (choose a fortified nondairy milk to get the most nutritional value from your smoothies)*
- 1 cup frozen nondairy milk ice cubes (12 ice cubes)
- 2 cups dandelion greens (packed)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 apple chopped, seeds removed
- 1 sliced, frozen banana
- Freeze 1 cup of fortified nondairy milk in an ice cube tray in advance, at least 8 hours in advance.
- Freeze a chopped banana at least 8 hours in advance as well.
- When you're ready to make your smoothie, chop your greens and apple and add them into your high-speed blender. Add in the rest of your ingredients except your ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add in your nondairy milk ice cubes and blend.